A friend of mine shared this article with me over Twitter, after we discussed (and agreed), that tech startups underestimate the power of sales and marketing. I still believe that to be true, but the article sounds like someone in a suit with a ‘real’ job wrote it without the slightest insight into the mind of an entrepreneur.
While some points are valid, the majority of them were presented so poorly that any entrepreneur reading this would just shake their head in disgust and miss the message. Seeing as Twitter arguments usually go nowhere, I decided to write my ‘rebuttal’ here and highlight the important points from a different point of view.
Those of you that have been following me on Twitter know that my new favourite startup is Scoutzie, founded by Kirill Zubovsky. Scoutzie is a curated community for the best mobile designers in the world. The beautiful site does an awesome job showcasing only the best mobile designers for hire.
After approaching Kelly Smith for a job at Zapd, the two got to talking about Zubovsky’s passion for starting a business and the rapid growth of mobile applications. Since Smith is already involved with other companies, they decided it would be best for Zubovsky to pursue the opportunity, with Smith as an Advisor/Investor.
Entrepreneur Magazine asked their fans “If you had to give new entrepreneurs one piece of advice, what would it be?” After adding in my own two cents, and reading over 200 comments, I decided to share some of the insights.
- It is ALWAYS too early to quit. – Pamela
- Think Big! – Ramakrishna
- Learn from your mistakes, as you will make lots of them, but DON’T throw in the towel! – Sloan
- Start small. – Andrej
- Be true to your word and your friends and inspires others. – Julie
- Sacrifice in order to be successful entrepreneur and consistency is the key. Don’t waste time with college; it’s nothing but a debt when you graduate. – Janelle
- Bootstrap as much as possible. – Mary Lynne
- Stay Committed. – Amarilys
- Surround yourself with a good team. – Yael
- Please your customers. – Colin Continue reading
Looking for entrepreneurship information, advice, and tips? Look no further. Under30CEO prepared a list of 20 Blogs and Twitter Accounts Every Entrepreneur Should Follow. These experts have been through it all, and are sharing the valuable lessons they have learnt along the way. Continue reading