#1 Lesson: The best way to reach new customers is through existing customers.
- WOM is cheaper than advertising
- Customer retention is cheaper than acquisition or win-back
- Loyal customers are more likely to engage
Action: Connect with current customers instead of focusing your social media efforts on new business.
#2 Lesson: Social media works best for small businesses.
- Customers prefer real people over impersonal brands
- Authenticity trumps automation
Action: Step away from the corporate image and be more approachable by personalizing responses to questions, comments, complaints, and compliments.
#3 Lesson: Consumer opinions matter.
- Each individual has the means to reach thousands of potential customers
- People trust people more than they trust brands
Action: Diffuse negative situations quickly, while encouraging positive comments.
#4 Lesson: The best results are achieved through analysis and revision.
- Social media is still about trial and error
- Measure success over time using several intervals
- Build on what has worked in the past
Action: Don’t be afraid to experiment, but be sure to measure the impact, adjust when needed, and repeat successful tactics.
Summary of an Entrepreneur.com article, for the full version click here.
Enjoyed this post? Subscribe here!