#1 Lesson: The best way to reach new customers is through existing customers.
- WOM is cheaper than advertising
- Customer retention is cheaper than acquisition or win-back
- Loyal customers are more likely to engage
Action: Connect with current customers instead of focusing your social media efforts on new business.
#2 Lesson: Social media works best for small businesses.
- Customers prefer real people over impersonal brands
- Authenticity trumps automation
Action: Step away from the corporate image and be more approachable by personalizing responses to questions, comments, complaints, and compliments.
#3 Lesson: Consumer opinions matter.
- Each individual has the means to reach thousands of potential customers
- People trust people more than they trust brands
Action: Diffuse negative situations quickly, while encouraging positive comments.
#4 Lesson: The best results are achieved through analysis and revision.
- Social media is still about trial and error
- Measure success over time using several intervals
- Build on what has worked in the past
Action: Don’t be afraid to experiment, but be sure to measure the impact, adjust when needed, and repeat successful tactics.
Enjoyed this post? Subscribe here!