Five steps for building and maintaining relationships with mentors were revealed during a Mixergy interview with Darryn Lee. Darryn has been practicing these 5 techniques since high school, and has since landed his dream job.
Events are often used to network with prospective mentors, however, it is also an opportunity to reach out to current mentors and touch base. Take advantage of every invite you receive, but focus on seeking out people and events within your industry. Be sure to talk to as many people as possible, and connect with both potential and current mentors.
While the practice of exchanging information electronically is gaining momentum, most people still prefer a physical business card. Be sure to ask each individual for a business card, and be ready to give out your own card. Keep in mind that obtaining a business card from a desired mentor is not the end goal. Once you receive the business card, convey its importance by reading the information and putting it away carefully. After the conversation ends, jot down 3 memorable things on the back of the business card. This step is crucial, as it will serve as a launch point for a later conversation or email.
Entrepreneur Magazine asked their fans “If you had to give new entrepreneurs one piece of advice, what would it be?” After adding in my own two cents, and reading over 200 comments, I decided to share some of the insights.
- It is ALWAYS too early to quit. – Pamela
- Think Big! – Ramakrishna
- Learn from your mistakes, as you will make lots of them, but DON’T throw in the towel! – Sloan
- Start small. – Andrej
- Be true to your word and your friends and inspires others. – Julie
- Sacrifice in order to be successful entrepreneur and consistency is the key. Don’t waste time with college; it’s nothing but a debt when you graduate. – Janelle
- Bootstrap as much as possible. – Mary Lynne
- Stay Committed. – Amarilys
- Surround yourself with a good team. – Yael
- Please your customers. – Colin Continue reading
Don’t spend time with people who don’t believe in you, instead look for positive feedback and support.
The best way to expand your boundaries is by consciously stepping outside of your comfort zone. When working out, you can only build muscle if you force yourself to keep going past the pain. However, personal trainers often provide you with the proper motivation needed to reach your fitness goals. Similarly, seeking out mentors and guidance will increase the likelihood of achieving success.